Tuesday, 12 February 2013

How to make pancakes

Hello readers, as it is pancake day I decided a 'How to make pancakes' would be a helpful article. However, basic pancakes are extremely boring and even though I love a plain lemon and sugar one, an adventurous one is always tastier. So I am going to show you how to make my three favourite pancakes, which I will be making tonight. My recipes will make 12-14 pancakes, so please carry on reading and get some inspiration for when you make them later on.

Basic recipe-

Ingredients:
  1. 110g plain flour sifted
  2. Pinch of salt
  3. 2 eggs
  4. 200ml milk mixed with 75ml water
  5. 50g butter
Method:

  1. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl with a sieve, held high above the bowl so that the flour gets an airing.
  2. Make a well (a hole made with your finger) in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Then begin whisking the eggs, making sure you use the flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do.
  3. Gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture and keep whisking. When all of the liquid has been added, use a spatula to scrape any bits of flour around the edge into the centre, then whisk once more until the batter is nice and smooth.
  4. Melt the butter into a pan. Spoon 2 tbsp. of it into the batter and whisk into it.
  5. With the rest of the butter, pour it into a bowl. You will use this butter to smear it around the pan before making each pancake.
  6. Now get the pan really hot and then turn down to medium. To start with, a test pancake would be a good idea so you get an idea on how much batter to use. I find that 2 tbsp. is about the right amount for a 18cm pan. Also, make sure you use a ladle as it can be poured into the hot pan in one go.
  7. As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get a lovely shaped pancake.
  8. It should only take a minute or so to cook, you can lift the edge with a palette knife to see if its a tingled gold as it should be.
  9. Flip the pancake over with a pan slice or palette knife- the other side will need a few seconds only. Then plate up your delicious pancake.
This is only a basic recipe that I found online, if you make the pancakes a different way that is perfectly fine, you can still copy my pancakes. Now for the fun part...

1. My number 1 favourite pancake is chocolate chip with whipped cream. To make this, add chocolate chips to your pancake batter before you cook them. I always go overboard with the whipped cream and chocolate sauce every year whilst decorating and when I'm ready to eat it, it looks more like a sweet mountain than a pancake. Delicious!




2. Another pancake I absolutely love is nutella and strawberry. To make this, simply add nutella (Go crazy and add lots and lots) and strawberries. Whenever I do this pancake, I put the nutella and strawberries in the centre and fold the pancake over to make a crepe. Extremely tasty!





3. My final pancake I love to make is an M&M pancake. All my family find me very strange when I make this, but I LOVE it. To make this pancake, add M&Ms to the pancake batter before you cook them. Also add whipped cream and chocolate sauce on the pancake before eating and sprinkle over some M&M's.  It's heavenly!




I hope the pancakes above will help you make the best pancakes ever ! Have a great time making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment